The Hobart Walking Club began with a meeting held on 12 November 1929 by ET Emmett, Director of the Government Tourist Bureau. The response was a membership of seventy enthusiasts. The Club ran walks about once a fortnight and membership grew quickly. When the Club started, skiing was more popular than walking but now the main activities are walking, cycling and kayaking.
Club members have been at the forefront of bushwalking exploration in Tasmania. Members pioneered the route to Federation Peak, although the first ascent was completed by the Geelong Mountaineering Club. Members completed the first traverse of the Western Arthurs, including naming of the mountains and lakes. Numerous huts and safety shelters were built by Club members, and many tracks have been built and maintained by Club members.
A history of the first 81 years of the club is available to download here: (9MB pdf file)