This policy also outlines an option (and the implications of this option) for members to restrict the use of their personal information.
What personal information may we collect?
HWC collects only such personal information as is necessary to manage membership of the Club and to organise trips and events.
HWC collects personal information about members which includes:
- First and last name
- Postal address,
- Date joined the Club,
- Year of birth,
- Contact phone number,
- Email address,
- Emergency contact name(s) and phone number(s), and
- Trip history (Club trips and events which the member has taken part in or has nominated for).
Credit and Debit Card Information
How do we collect personal information?
Information is generally collected from members by way of membership applications, from Trip Reports and from personal input by members into the Club website.
How do we ensure the security of personal information?
- We limit the number and roles of Club officers who have administrative access to member information.
- We ensure that up-to-date security protection is installed on the website.
- We require members to use a ten-character password to access the Member Portal. We encourage members to use a strong password and change it periodically.
Removal of personal information
- All personal information except for name, date of joining and date of expiry is deleted two years after a person’s membership expires.
- You may also contact the Membership Officer to ask for immediate removal of your personal information.
What do we use the personal information for?
Information is used to:
- Maintain the membership register as required by the Tasmanian Associations Incorporation Act,
- Communicate with members,
- Communicate with emergency contacts in the event of an emergency, and
- Compile anonymous statistics for the Annual Report.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
- By default, members will be able to see your preferred name, contact phone number, email address, suburb, and trip history. These details are used by members to include you in Club activities such as the organisation of trips. You may choose not to share your contact phone number, email address and suburb with other members.
- Personal information is provided, when required, to members of Club committees who provide Club services. This includes emergency contact and other personal details which are accessible by Club officers.
- Names, phone numbers and email addresses of Trip Coordinators and Committee Members are included in the trips program which is distributed to members.
- Members representing the Club at other organisations may, with their consent, have their contact details provided to those organisations.
- In the event of an incident occurring on a trip that results in an insurance claim, attending members' contact details may be provided to insurers.
- We do not provide our membership list to any external organisation or external individual.
- No member may disclose another member’s personal or contact information to a non-member.
How do members notify the Club of corrections to personal information?
- You can view your personal information in the Member Portal of the website under ‘My Details’ and update it at any time.
- You may also contact the Membership Officer to advise of any changes.
How do I opt-out so other members are unable to see some of my personal information?
You may choose to opt-out so other members are unable to see your contact phone number, email address, or suburb. Opt-out tick boxes are available in the:
- Join Page, i.e., Membership Application,
- My Details page, and
- Subscription Renewal page.
or you can email the Membership Officer and request the opt-out option.
What are the implications of ticking the opt-out box?
- Other members will not see your contact phone number, email address and suburb.
- Other members may not be able to include you in Club activities such as the organisation of trips.
Ticking the opt-out boxes will not:
- Restrict Club Officers from accessing all your personal contact details to manage the activities of running the Club,
- Prevent you from accessing the Club website,
- Prevent you from nominating for Club activities, or
- Prevent you from receiving the Club Circular via email.
How can you help protect your information?
If you are providing personal information to HWC (or receiving it from the Club), the HWC requests that you take all necessary steps to ensure that it is accurate, complete, and up to date.
What to do if you have a complaint?
Any complaint regarding a possible breach of privacy by HWC should be directed to the Secretary.